Like in the last two posts I showed these initial milestones.
- April 8th: 157 new words
- April 30th: 314 new words
- May 31st: 471 new words
- June 30th: 628 new words
I also reported that I had hit my first 2 milestones by the first milestone, but I didn't expect to keep that pace. I have learned 405 new words. Part of what slowed me down was that I am finishing up my senior project, and could not devote as much time to this as I wanted. Another part was that I unexpectedly got a staph infection that sent me to urgent care three times. :-( Good news is that I am all healed up and School ends next week. I still think I will be able to hit my May 31st goal. I will still be taking a slower pace this next month.
Between the last milestone and this one I have been doing some research on characters. The point in this challenge for me, is not to learn as many characters as possible, but rather to learn characters smarter. One way that I am doing that is by learning to better categorize the characters themselves. I read Ollie's two part series on Phonetic compounds. Which then lead me to read the wikipedia article describing all the different ways a character can be made. Using this information as a guide, I am attempting to guess the category of each new character I learn as a part of my routine. For example, when they fall into that 80% I take apart the character and identify the sound part and the meaning part. I don't have any evidence, but I feel like this is helping me learn the characters better, and quicker.
As for Anki, I am still doing my best to use it every day, but I have tuned down the new words from 20 a day to 5 a day. Over the last 30 days I used it 23 days. I'm hoping to get that up to a higher number this month.
Until next time wish me luck!